Join Section Five and endorse the basic principles and purposes of the Section:
- To foster diversity and support pluralism in psychoanalytic psychology
- To represent not only those psychologist psychoanalysts who work in a traditional two person clinical practice, no matter what theoretical orientation underlies that practice, but also those who work in settings beyond the consulting room, including but not limited to: schools, hospitals, courtrooms, and community meetings of various kinds.
- To encourage technical and theoretical innovation while preserving fundamental psychoanalytic values
- To provide accessible forums for communication among members
- To develop programs to meet members' needs
The many programs and activities of the section include:
- Biennial essay competitions for students and mature clinicians, with essays posted on this website.
- Invited panels at Division 39 and APA annual conventions allowing members to develop themes of particular interest to them
- Our listserv allows members to share their thoughts and concerns easily with colleagues.
- Our up to the minute TUMBLR site, sphinxonthebrink.tumblr.com/ carries news and information about psychodynamic matters.
- In addition to the opportunity to participate in the work of standing committees of the Section, members are encouraged to pursue matters of personal interest in ad hoc committees endorsed by the Board of Directors.
Section Five has a transparent political process and administration. All members are invited to attend meetings of the Board of Directors. We actively solicit opinions, suggestions and requests from members. We like to think of ourselves as a "user friendly" professional association. We hope you will consider joining us.